Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Create Your Own Art

It might surprise you to know, that you don't have to know how to freehand to create art.  I always wondered how the "real" artists do large scale murals,and I learned that they sometimes trace the items onto a surface so they don't have to worry about scale.  This cuts down on the time, especially when working on a tedious project.  Another trick they use, is to create the artwork on canvas, and then install the pieces like wallpaper.  This particular project is a cross between the two.  These are canvas panels, that are being used in a den above a couch as artwork.

First I went to Jerry's Artarama to purchase the canvas.  They have a variety of shapes and sizes, so I like to shop there!




I base coated the canvases with Annie Sloan's chalk paint, Old Ochre.  I then troweled on some joint compound for texture.



The next steps were just a series of layering different paints with a trowel.  The colors used here are Annie Sloan's Emperor's Silk, and Primer Red. 


I let the layers dry in between coats.  I took a stencil and used Old Ochre to apply the pattern.  I then used the Annie Sloan soft wax in dark for sealer and to add depth.  After that, I added some Iridescent Gold and Antique Bronze from Modern Masters to highlight and low light the scroll work.

I am very happy with the results.  These are going to look GREAT above the couch I designed them for.

Create some art of your own today!  It is super fun!
Have a wonderful "hump" day! 

XOXXO
Nee' Nee'

No comments:

Post a Comment