Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Gorgeous Cake Plate!

I saw this GREAT and I mean GREAT idea on Pinterest.  I pinned it to my board, and my wheels started spinning!  Like I always say, take something and make it your own.  What started as a simple cake plate and cloche topper, became my obsession!  You can see the original idea at The Gathering Place Design.  The icing on the cake, so to speak, was that the wire basket came from the dollar store...my favorite place in life!  This person used a cake plate that they bought, I decided to glue a charger plate to a candle stick so I could have a taller plate and customize the design myself.  This is how my vision began.



I crackled the candle stick for a rustic look.  First I painted it dark brown, then I used a crackle medium.  You can purchase very small quantities of this at Michael's.  I have a large jar because...well, that's how I roll! 


I took Annie Sloan's Dark Wax and waxed over the top of it.  Next I took the dollar store trash can, and painted it Provence Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan.  I then waxed over it with the dark wax as well.  I found a Christmas ornament at Hobby Lobby that I thought would make a great handle for the cloche.  I painted the ornament Provence and waxed it as well. 

Next came the plate.  Since this is glass, a special paint is required.  First, the plate must be wiped down with alcohol to remove any oils so the paint will stick.  I then sponged on Caribbean Blue and Gold Perm Enamel Glass Paint.  When you sponge the product on randomly, it makes sort of a marble look.



On the front of the plate, I used Modern Masters Crackle Medium for the first layer.  After that dried, I used Wicker White Folk Art Enamel Paint for Glass and brushed on it up and down vertical strokes.  When that dried, I used a harlequin stencil to apply diamond shapes in Licorice Folk Art Enamel. 



I used the Modern Masters rusting technique (discussed in an earlier blog) to add some rust to the plate.  Then the entire front and back of the plate was glazed in Perm Enamel Air Dry Glaze.  This can be found at Michael's.  With a two part epoxy, I then glued the plate to the top of the candle stick.  I also glued some hanging jewels about four inches apart around the bottom of the plate.  I also glued the Christmas ornament on top of the upside down basket to make the cloche topper.  This is the final result.





I can think of a hundred more combinations....I can't wait to do more!

Have a great "hump" day!
Luvyameanit.
Nee' Nee'

No comments:

Post a Comment